By: Laura-Jane Hatcher (WRGA News)
The only possessions the Fowler Family has left are the shirts on their backs after a fire ravaged their Lindale home Monday.
According to Rome Fire Department Investigator Gary Johnson, the blaze broke out in the mobile home off of Shorthorn Rd. around 8:15 in the morning. Though the family of twelve made it out of the fire alive, Samuel Fowler says his home and the precious things within it are gone.
“Everything. All I have is the clothes on my back,” he says. “I lost an African Gray Parrott that talked up a storm. And, I lost a little Pomeranian puppy.”
Fowler says he wasn’t at home and his two young boys were at school when the fire ignited in one of the back bedrooms, however two women asleep in the house suffered injuries. A 19-year-old girl sustained minor burns to her right side and left leg, while another resident was treated for smoke inhalation. Both were released by Floyd Medical Center later in the day.
The local Red Cross has put the Fowlers up in a motel for the next three nights, but after that, Fowler is unsure of what will happen to his family. Standing before the charred remains of his home, he says he’s just taking it one day at a time.
“You know, it’s hard to say. The first day---you’re just trying to rake up what you lost,” he claims. “Just have to tie it down and rebuild.”
Rome Fire investigators have blamed an electrical short for the fire.
Twelve people, including four children, are homeless after a fire ravaged their home Monday morning.
According to Rome Fire Department Investigator Gary Johnson, two women were injured when their mobile home at 29 Shorthorn Rd in Lindale caught fire around 8:15am. A 19-year-old girl suffered minor burns on her right side and left leg, while another resident was treated for smoke inhalation. Both were released by Floyd Medical Center later in the day.
An electric short in one of the back bedrooms is being blamed for the blaze that completely destroyed the home. The Red Cross has been contacted to help the four children and eight adults who are now homeless as the structure has been described as a total loss.