AM 1470 WRGA Rome's News Talk Listen LIve
 
 

Sewer project moves forward

August 18, 2014--11:41 a.m.

By David Crowder

A SPLOST funder sewer project in North Rome could get underway in January.

Rome Water and Sewer Director Leigh Ross gave an update Monday.

He said the project, which will be around 1-million dollars, will involve replacing the sewer main that runs from Calhoun Avenue behind the North Hills Subdivision, across the old Kingston Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to the Etowah River.

It also includes a spur line to the Maplewood Subdivision.

Ross added the design should be completed by the end of this month.

It will then go to the State Environmental Protection Division for approval, which could take until the end of September.

The ad for bids will be placed in October with the hiring of a contractor coming in November.

City Manager Sammy Rich said the city is in good shape when it comes to cashflowing it's SPLOST projects.

Revenues are coming in at a rate of around $400,000 a month.

The one exception is the tennis center project, and there is going to be a bond issuance for that.

Also during Monday’s Rome Water and Sewer Committee meeting, financial numbers were discussed.

Through July 31st, Operating revenues were up almost 173-thousand dollars from this time last year, while operating expenses were up more than 47-thousand dollars.