AM 1470 WRGA Rome's News Talk Listen LIve
 
 

Alabama home destroyed by fire

July 9, 2014--9:18 a.m.

WEIS Radio report

Firefighters responded to a structure fire at 209 Sherry Drive in Centre shortly after 12:00 noon Monday arrived to find both a house and a small storage building in the yard ablaze.

Neighbors reported hearing a huge explosion prior to the fire with the force of the explosion being so strong that pictures were actually dislodged from the walls in homes both next door and down the street.

Homeowner Chris Wood contacted WEIS Radio in Centre Tuesday morning to tell us the fire started from a grill that had been used by family members that morning. He was in Gadsden when he got the call that his house was on fire – and later that day, he learned that the grill had apparently caught back up, fallen over, and somehow caught the grass on fire, which eventually caught the storage building on fire.

There were some old oxygen tanks stored in the outbuilding which exploded in turn catching the house on fire.

Fortunately, a passerby saw the flames and began blowing her car horn alerting the family inside the home – allowing them to make it out safely.

Both the outbuilding and the house itself was a complete loss.